Thursday 27 December 2007

A short note about books

I am in Devon for Christmas and have read my Christmas books from my mother (Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont by Elizabeth Taylor, which was good but disappointing given the recent hype about her, like a duller E. F. Benson; and An Infinity of Little Hours, by Nancy Klein Maguire, which was very interesting but curiously conveyed nothing of the character of monasticism as I have encountered it, touching very little on God). On holiday I finished The Syme Papers by Benjamin Markovits, which I eventually started to enjoy (though I noted the page when I got into it and it was p. 217); The Legacy of Reginald Perrin, by David Nobbs, reliably amusing though perhaps only for people who already know the characters; Salamander by Thomas Wharton, which rather overdid the Jeanette Winterson-style magic realism; and The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana, which I enjoyed, though I did feel that most of the middle was basically a self-indulgent nostalgia trip for Umberto Eco. So I went into the library -- my parents built this house from scratch, and designed it themselves, and my one contribution was that I insisted we had to have a library, so we do, with high bookshelves all the way round made in pine by a local carpenter, and a chair that folds out into steps for getting at the top shelves -- and went to where I left all my Aubrey and Maturin books by Patrick O'Brian when I lent them to my father. There are more than 20, I think, and I just picked one at random from the middle (The Fortune of War, as it happens), and have been enjoying it immensely. They are wonderfully well written, and very funny in a human sort of way -- I can't remember who said that they were what Jane Austen's sea-faring brothers would have written, but that seems exactly right to me. If you haven't read them already I envy you for the chance to discover them, though there are a substantial number and they may take you some time to get through.

2 comments:

  1. You're absolutely right about 'Mysterious Flame'; I have to admit to skipping big chunks of the nostalgia-fest, but the stuff about antiquarian books (esp at the beginning) made me long to be a bookseller.

    Am currently enjoying Michael Chabon's 'Wonder Boys', which strikes me so far as a better-written David Lodge...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved 'Wonder Boys', and 'The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay'. 'Mysteries of Pittsburg' was disappointing though. Am going to wait until they're in paperback before reading his two latest, which came out in quick succession, but some reviews I read suggested he had spread himself too thin...

    Have you read the Patrick O'Brian ones? They really are good value.

    ReplyDelete