Monday 24 March 2008

Go SuperTed!

I came to Devon by train. Not a long way outside Reading, certainly before Westbury, I saw a red kite. When I was a kid I had a small book and tape in which SuperTed fought villains who were raiding the nests of the highly endangered red kite in the depths of Wales. And now you see them from the train less than an hour from London. Well done SuperTed!

At the end of my train journey I was emotionally re-united with 4OD. I've been enjoying Shameless, and Skins is good stuff. I remember liking about the first series that although the kids are rubbish, the adults are at least as rubbish and basically just winging it. This seemed quite humane to me; I always feel like I'm winging it, and I'm definitely on the adult side of the line these days, though luckily I don't have any teenagers to let down. They also have a very good adult cast. The addition of Bill Bailey dancing with a red border collie has only made it even better.

On the downside I have decided that Book Forum is rubbish, in an earnest American way, talking about metafiction. And my mother has wrong-footed me by moving on from eccentric shopping practices like only buying things which alliterate to the more sensible and correspondingly more rigid rule that nothing may contain hydrogenated vegetable fats or be over-packaged. We went to Morrisons and it was very trying, because everything there contains hydrogenated vegetable fats or comes in an extra unnecessary plastic box.

No comments:

Post a Comment