Saturday 29 August 2009

More books

I Served the King of England by Bohumil Hrabal
Quite good, but somehow disappointing, given its high reputation. Apparently the Czechs says it's untranslatable, and I'm not sure this has persuaded me otherwise. Hmmm.

A Fragment of the Whole by Steve Toltz
I enjoyed this very much. It has unexpected bits in it. I liked when the narrator's father is planning his ideal house: "inside I think two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room, a kitchen, and a dark room, not to develop photos, just so we can sit in the dark". I think this sounds very appealing, but unfortunately it is actually a symptom of his mental decline.

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks
Interesting. Overly mannered in places. Also, not without its "isn't that normal?" moments.

Kept by D. J. Taylor
This is quite good, a pastiche of many Victorian authors, including a mistress in a house in St John's Wood. I'm not sure I'm likely to reread it ever, but it's quite good train journey material.

No comments:

Post a Comment