Saturday 17 February 2007

Lent

Virgin Records once ran a sale under the banner "I hate myself and I want to buy", enraging Nirvana fans because "I hate myself and I want to die" was Kurt Cobain's suicide note or favourite song, or ringtone or something. Anyway Virgin Records knew their market. When my Granny died I bought myself a new ipod, and there are whole sermons to be got out of that transaction.

It's nearly Lent and I've been thinking what to give up. The year before last I gave up novels and read serious books, largely theological. Last year I gave up feeling sorry for myself. (Which worked quite well until Easter, when I went on something of a self-pity bender.) This year I'm considering something more anti-capitalist, possibly giving up my credit card. I could try living off cash. A sort of money diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment