Sunday 8 July 2007

I would read anything this author wrote

Thomas Pynchon: though he reminds me a bit of my PhD supervisor, in that sometimes the parts are greater than the whole
Barbara Trapido: though Frankie and Stankie was a bit disappointing
Barbara Kingsolver: Prodigal Summer is great, and so is her early stuff. (I discovered these two Barbaras at a time a few years back when I got so annoyed with the male voice in writing that I decided I had better not read anything written by men for a while, for fear that I might otherwise develop an unshakable and unjustifed intolerance. I'm pleased to report that this worked but I still wouldn't read anything by Martin Amis in case it triggered a relapse.)
Tibor Fischer: though his early stuff was better
Jonathon Coe: though he will never top What A Carve Up
John Irving: though Until I Find You was definitely not his best
Kate Atkinson: she can really write
Michael Chabon: ditto
Alexei Sayle: though I prefer his short stories
Allan Massie: am loving his fake twelfth-century narratives of the Matter of Britain
Pat Barker: obviously
Rose Tremain: natch
Iain Banks: as opposed to Iain M. Banks, though I do mean to try those one day
Barbara Vine: as opposed to Ruth Rendell, though I've never thought any of those were a waste of time either
P. D. James: though I wish she'd give the Book-of-Common-Prayer echoes a rest
Jilly Cooper: there's no point in being ashamed of this -- it's trashy reading but satisfying, like a twix
Iain Pears: the art-history mysteries are very good indeed, and The Dream of Scipio is the most moving book ever written about textual criticism
Arturo Perez-Reverte: buckles have never been swashed more intelligently
John Julius Norwich: though The Middle Sea is not as good as the Byzantium books
George MacDonald Fraser: we're officially owed one where Flashman makes sweet love in the Parker library -- Ray Page has the correspondence to prove it -- the main obstacle is presumably the dual improbability of anyone's getting into the Parker Library in the nineteenth century, and that person's being a woman -- it's going to tax his plotting skills
Salman Rushdie: the first time I read the Satanic Verses was to see what the controversy was about; the subsequent three or four times have been because it is a seriously good book; but he's definitely fallen off in recent years
Will Self: he is utterly original -- e.g. Great Apes, How the Dead Live, The Book of Dave, &c -- but do not, I repeat, do not read My Idea of Fun if you haven't already -- it's fouler than American Psycho
Julian Rathbone: he's annoying in many ways but gets away with it by being so good
Diana Athill: now she's stopped trying to write novels
Patrick McGrath: master of Gothic madness
Thomas McGuane: good on horses
Neil Gaiman: especially now he's grown up a bit
Liz Jensen: they've all been good in a lunatic sort of way

This is really quite a cheerful list -- these authors are all still alive so if they were each to produce a book every two years then I would have at least one appealing thing to read every month.

No comments:

Post a Comment