Sunday 15 July 2007

Some things which are good and one slightly disturbing thing

1. Calvin Harris's album I Created Disco. It's a bit like Jarvis Cocker crossed with the Human League. The Girls, Acceptable in the 80s and Merrymaking at My Place are the singles, and all good, and I currently love Disco Heat, which has great instrumental bits, expressing heartbreak in the brilliant way that only electronic pop can. I do hope he's not going to drug himself to death though -- he looks a bit out of it here, in a proto-Doherty sort of way, and all the songs seem to be about taking drugs with girls, without any of that "Just say no!" stuff for the kids.
2. Whistling Allegri's Miserere in an echoey place made of stone; to be specific, L staircase.
3. The tea place called Ti is actually quite good, and strangely soothing, even though I don't like tea. I hope they keep it going OK, because everyone wants to sit down and drink tea slowly, rather than sipping it as they wander about town like coffee, leading to a lower turnover.
4. It's Cambridge open studios this month.
5. The Sacred exhibition at the British Library. I promised someone I'd say what I thought about this, but I only had half an hour there which wasn't long enough. Still it seems like putting Jewish, Christian, and Muslim books side by side is genuinely interesting and not just the Blairite gimmick it at first appears.
6. Washing your hands in milk -- surprisingly luxurious.
7. Peter Callesen makes sculptures out of bits cut from a sheet of paper. About halfway down this page is a closet with lots of monsters in.
8. This video of a wishbone pulling the mechanical device which makes it walk is oddly disturbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment