Friday 7 November 2008

Some stuff

1. My father is back from plant-hunting in Arunachal Pradesh. Oddly enough this coincides with the British Museum running an exhibition about Arunachal Pradesh, helpfully titled "Between Tibet and Assam". There were riots while my Dad was there, and they got thrown out of a border region by a tetchy general, but to be honest I'm on the general's side because I know my Dad was hoping to sneak over some mountain pass into Burma. They all enjoyed themselves anyway. My father is the young one of the group, in his late fifties; his friend Peta is in her seventies and still happily striding about the Himalayas. How did I not get to be one of these people? Was I just born fifty years too late, and the wrong class? Or do I have only my own self to blame?

2. Talking of trees a friend sent me this helpful link; I'm not sure how to feel about there being no logical need for fish poison. Is that sad? Or is it happy for the fish? I might have to hunt through Borders for Country Walking Magazine to hear more of Ray's thoughts on this.

3. The same person sent me this link, from Bookslut. Admire the positioning of the "click to look inside" arrow. Also I like "broad riding" as a key phrase for Lady Chatterley's Lover. I remember reading it when I was 13 and being shocked, but not by its explicitness -- even as a young nicely-brought-up girl I'd read stuff at least as explicit -- but by its complete lack of romance, or even much in the way of emotion. I read tons of D. H. Lawrence as a teenager and for a while The Plumed Serpent was my favourite book but now it seems almost unreadable.

4. Actually I was wondering if the Circle Line was running:


And when I got to the platform the Circle Line was running. Hurray!

3 comments:

  1. I remember findng a copy of _Lady Chatterley_ at the back of my parents' wardrobe when I was about 13, and being terribly disappointed in how unexplicit it was. Even Judy Blume went further....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, I do remember Jusy Blume books being passed around the class with hushed reverence. But the amazon pic is brilliant. Perfect for failblog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading _Forever_ in the playground. It's a rubbish book but I suppose it serves some purpose. I've never reread _Lady Chatterley's Lover_ but I seem to remember that in some of the early sex scenes Lady Jane is just finding it all both boring and ridiculous, which was quite a contrast to most of the romantic novels I read. Hurray for literature!

    ReplyDelete