Monday 18 February 2008

Ancora random

1. I do miss my copy of 501 Latin Verbs Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses. I know I ought to be better than that. I ought to have all Latin verbs fully conjugated in all the tenses inside my head, ready to spew out as necessary. Ah, I should say, a second-conjugation pluperfect subjunctive third-person plural! But it is not so. Perseus' word analyser is not a complete substitute, though it does help.

2. I went to Rome. It's not as easy to be in as Bologna. Like a good medievalist I went to the Epigraphical Museum and looked at epigraphy for a while. There were some truly beautiful Rustic Capital inscriptions, but I have a soft spot for the clumsier ones, like this one showing cursive elements.



3. The Spar chains have shops in Rome but they are called Despar which is a bit wierd, really, and makes you think of those anti-capitalist T-shirts.



4. Federica says the bookshops are great here because so few people read. Only intellectuals read, she says, whereas in England culture is for everyone. I tried to suggest that some people wouldn't call it culture at all when it includes The Da Vinci code, and 25% of all books bought are Richard and Judy choices. (I know one's supposed to find the latter shocking, but I can only sympathise with those who want a straightforward easy read, and who go into a bookshop looking for something cheapish, fat, and reliable. Nor are all the R&J choices dumb by any means, and most of them are worth some time.)

1 comment:

  1. I love DeSpar -- are you supposed to abandon hope before you enter? And that Latin verb book is great... but not as good as Tutti verbi greci, for which we should also thank the Italians. Thanks for keeping us up to date with your Italian life -- I would keep you up to date with CC things but it would just lead to despa(i)r... The birds of prey have gone; I don't think the pigeons were all that bothered in the end.

    ReplyDelete