Monday 25 February 2008

Appreciating Cambridge

I am enjoying Italy, and it's actually perversely pleasurable to be reminded, by their absence, of the things I like about Cambridge:
1) I wish I had been in Cambridge to hear the archbishops recently, especially Dr Williams.
2) I miss having a variety of intelligent people around. After the stuff Dr Williams said recently about sharia law I wish I could have asked an intelligent lawyer (I was specifically thinking of a particular hard-boiled one I know) about the common law. (Though I would have exposed my ignorance badly.)
3) chat! I want to chat with people about trivial things like TV. Instead my flatmate keeps challenging me to defend vegetarianism or outline Cambridge's admission procedure. It's been ages since I've critiqued one of the lovely ladies in Country Life, and I am not being exposed to enough irony or sarcasm.
4) British TV. When I get back I will make my computer download lots off of 4OD.
5) orange milk chocolate!
6) kettles!
I have to keep these things in mind so that when I do have to leave I see the upside. But I'm really enjoying myself here, and I'm not quite as skint as I expected to be, which helps a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment