Tuesday 6 May 2008

Hurray

I've been asked to be a godmother for the baby girl of some friends! I'm very chuffed about this. My own godparents have always been quite good fun. They were both originally botanists, though I suppose they are both plant scientists now; the more high-powered of the two certainly is. (See lament on the death of botany, below.) He occasionally sends me embargoed press releases about work he's done on crop diseases in China. My godmother lectures at Hertford and has a wonderfully dry sense of humour -- she's one of Pym's Excellent Women who escaped, and as such a very good role model. I shall have to see if I can pull a similar stunt and be a good example, rather than just, as I am at the moment, an example.

Anyway it's nice to have some good news because I am rather sunk in work right now. It's feeling a bit like one of those Psalms where David cries out from the pit.

No comments:

Post a Comment