Saturday 31 May 2008

Too much

I am getting annoyed with the Wire and may drop it. Starting an episode with a character in misty-eyed close-up explaining how they first knew they wanted to become a cop, and ending it with the same character getting shot in the line of duty, is a cliche too far even for me. Also American dramas are really annoying about how they treat cop shootings. You can have bodies all over the place, but as soon as one of the police force gets shot they go all O! the humanity. They seem to have a very strong hierarchy in place of what sort of people matter. I have no idea if their attitude is like this in reality too, but its prevalence in their much-exported TV fiction might help explain why the world hates America. It's annoying though, because I have no TV here; I suppose I'm back on the podcasts. Avoid, by the way, the Napoleon 101 podcast because it is awful.

2 comments:

  1. I'm working my way through _House_ (or _House M.D._) at present. The main story (and secondary/sub- story) of each episode follows a strict formula, but that does not bother me, and the overall story arc from one episode and season to the next is done well.

    Do you have a _Wire_ box set I can borrow ...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got them off of Adrian, but I can certainly pass them on. I was being excessively bad-tempered because of charter annoyance, but also cop shows just aren't my thing. In fact I'm pretty bored by dramas in general. But with your grown-up West-Wing-length attention span I should think you'll like it. Plus Adrian says ever series changes its setting and that this is good.

    ReplyDelete