Thursday 4 January 2007

2007: some thoughts

I don't usually do the new year's resolution thing for obvious reasons, but in 2006 my life got rather cluttered (due to the fact that I do three jobs at the moment, the two half-time ones plus the teaching and other work with students) plus I had a big break at the end of December, so it seemed like it would be a good chance to make some plans and restart some things I'd let slide. Unfortunately on the morning of New Year's Eve I was already feeling a bit dodgy, and by the evening I was definitely ill, and I have spent most of the time in between in bed or on my sofa nursing the worst flu I have had since autumn 2000. I think I got it from some ill monks in Palestine, in a reverse of the usual situation where one goes to monasteries for healing. That would explain why the uncomfortable flu vaccination I took the precaution of having (grrr!) has failed to protect me from it. I suppose it's an illustration of the vanity of human plans, or something.

The only tiny good thing about flu is the point where your voice goes all gravelly, and I can go around saying "Oh Mr Rigsby!" to myself and giggling. I suppose even this small satisfaction is denied to men, but maybe they can say "It was a time of heroes" which might be as good.

In the meantime, I'm trying to think of some reason why the 8th January 2007 is a natural division. It's the day after Orthodox Christmas, and it's the feast day of both St Pega and St Wulfsige, but I'm not currently finding any of those very convincing.

No comments:

Post a Comment