Monday 22 January 2007

Technologies

From Friday's dull repetitive task, which relied heavily on a technology allegedly invented by Bishop Eadfrith of Lindisfarne, I have turned to my other job, where today's dull repetitive task involves altering XML files and running them through a perl script which I don't understand in order to create a webpage with a complex working "nav bar". How adaptable am I? Very, that's how.

As I watch the command line flicker past with messages which mostly start "rem" and mean nothing to me, I ponder the meaning of blogging. I'm concerned that fellow bloggers are writing incisive and meaningful things, which makes me wonder if I should raise the bar somewhat for my own output... When I started my blog I assumed that no one would read it -- I still haven't put my name on it and I can't now remember how it got "out" as I don't remember telling anyone about it? Or did I? Anyway, I've always treated it as a place for the overspill of my brain (Ted Maul might say "the twisted brain-wrong of a one-off man mental!"). Since my brain is like Homer's and largely full of cartoons of cows dancing or a happy tune I'm humming to myself, my blog is mostly at that level. I think the only feasible route is to keep it that way... Today, for example, I am mostly humming National Express, by Divine Comedy.

After all the "blogosphere", not unlike a Cambridge college, is really a place where you'd have to pull off something pretty spectacular to stand out as odd...

In the meantime here is McSweeney's "Character from a Pynchon novel or someone who recently sent me spam?" list. Disappointingly it gives the answers. Get it together, McSweeney's!

No comments:

Post a Comment