Friday 4 May 2007

What is wrong with this place 1.1

What's wrong with Cambridge is that it offers you so very many opportunities to feel fundamentally unsuited for the things you are doing. I've just been shortlisting for a job in which several of the things I found attractive about candidates were the things which automatically ruled them out in the minds of people who know much more about it than me. That's frequently my experience when interviewing prospective undergraduates as well.

I was even completely out of my depth on the Soft Furnishings Committee. Reread that sentence: soft furnishings; out of my depth.

Also did you know that the United Reformed Church is not in communion with the Church of England? Half my family is URC and half CofE, and I worship in both churches interchangeably -- how on earth did I not know that? And for what possible reason could they not be in communion? The world is bizarre. Not the least bizarre part of it; Cambridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment