Friday 29 June 2007

Ponders


It's a shame I couldn't go to Bec. If I were there I would have sung compline by now. It closes with Salve Regina, to an old plainsong melody, and asperging. Otherwise it's all in French, including the Psalms; it's a very good language to chant quietly, with its growly 'r's and soft 'j's:
Sur le fauve et la vipère tu marcheras . tu fouleras le lionceau et le dragon
Puisqu'il s'attache à moi, je l'affranchis . je l'exalte puisqu'il connaît mon nom.
It's very peaceful there. I wish I could have gone.

Nonetheless, I'm also glad that I stayed to look after my rats. They are being very friendly at the moment; I think the antibiotics are making them feel a bit more themselves. Muesli is beginning to put some weight on again, and for the first time in quite a while she climbed up onto my shoulder, leant on my chin, and started making the teeth-chattery noise which is the rat equivalent of purring. It seems like there's not really much meaning to caring about things if you don't give things up for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment