Saturday 2 June 2007

Wedding: some thoughts

I love my brother to bits. He's a complete sweetheart and always has been. (I still feel some guilt for being pretty mean to him when we were kids.) His wedding yesterday was genuinely moving. I'm not very good at weddings -- they always make me feel like I missed some sort of handout or pamphlet which everyone else read years ago. Other people were crying away, though, and even I got a lump in my throat during my brother's after dinner speech, when he said glad he was to be spending the rest of his life with Charlie. They're a lovely couple, and I'm very glad to have her as a sister-in-law.

Well, I'm proud of him. I think he has the quality I've long admired in my parents -- a sort of innocence which is not ignorance, knowing about the world and living in it with an air of being untouched by it. I don't know how they do it; I always feel thoroughly traduced by the world I live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment